Yahoo bot last visit powered by  Ybotvisit.com My Ping in TotalPing.com

sabato 16 aprile 2011

Manassero earns place in upcoming Majors

Seventeen-year-old Matteo Manassero's Malaysian Open win has catapulted him from 57th to 33rd in the world rankings, earning him a place at this year's US Open, Open and US PGA Championship.

- 0a

"I just missed out on Augusta (this month's Masters) but playing the other three majors will be fantastic," said the Italian teenager.

"I am really proud of that and the next target will be winning another tournament and keeping the momentum going. It's a great achievement after just 11 months of professional golf."

Manassero's victory in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday was his second on the European Tour.

He became the youngest winner on the circuit when he captured the Castello Masters title in Spain in October.

Manassero turns 18 on Tuesday and is planning to mark the occasion in style.

"I couldn't imagine anything better, going back home to celebrate my 18th birthday and my second victory," he said. "It's great to be able to celebrate both together.

"I never expected it at all to have one win before I was 18 and now I've got two."

Manassero said that as a young child he was inspired by the feats of fellow Italian Costantino Rocca, Tiger Woods and especially Seve Ballesteros.

"I grew up watching Costantino, Seve and Tiger," he said. "I thought Seve was the kind of player I wanted to be.

"The crowd was cheering for him and he was different to everyone else. He is a great person and a symbol of what a person should be.

"He sent me a letter after I won in Spain. That was nice."

While there was delight for Manassero in Malaysia, there was more anguish for Rory McIlroy the week after the 21-year-old Briton let slip a four-shot lead in the final round of the Masters.

"I am disappointed with the result but everything else was positive," said McIlroy after finishing third in Kuala Lumpur.

"I am proud at how I picked myself up from last week.

"Matteo is fantastic. He is a great talent, to get two wins on the tour before your 18th birthday is pretty special."

Reuters

0 commenti:

Posta un commento

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More